Monday, November 16, 2009

Persimmon Cookies

Every fall, when the persimmons ripen I have to make persimmon cookies. It just speaks fall to me. This particular recipe was given to my family by family friends when I was in kindergarten - so we've been in possession of this recipe for thirty-one years now. So a big thanks to the Chappell family of Exeter, CA for this great recipe!

Since persimmons have such a short season of availability, I usually buy lots and peel/slice then freeze them in 1c bags for future baking.

PERSIMMON COOKIES
2c flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg

1/2c butter
1c sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp grated lemon or orange zest (optional) - I didn't have this today so I substituted 1/4 tsp orange extract
1c persimmon pulp
1c raisins
1/2c chopped nuts (optional)

Pre-heat oven to 350'.

Sift dry ingredients together.

Blend sugar and butter together until fluffy. Mix in vanilla, egg, and citrus rind. Blend together. Mix in persimmon. Slowly add in dry ingredients, mixing well. Add raisins, and optional nuts.

Grease baking sheets. Drop by spoonfuls onto baking sheet - use a medium cookie scoop if you want to do this easily. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on racks. Makes 3-4 dozen cookies, depending on the size.

No comments:

Post a Comment