Tuesday, December 15, 2009

New England Chicken Stew

I found myself in quite the predicament the other night when at dinner time I realized I had a bulk pack of both chicken and pork that were dated the day before and seriously needed to be cooked up or else I would have wasted all that $$! Grrrr. What's a cook to do? Cook them both! So in the crock pot I made up a batch of South Carolina pulled pork, and on the stove I made up a fabulous chicken stew. Yummmmm - the husband really enjoyed it, so this will now be going into the regular recipe rotation.

New England Chicken Stew
6c chicken broth (I didn't have any fresh, so I used Better than Bouillon)
6 carrots, peeled and cut into 1" lengths
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 large parsnip, peeled and cut into 1" lengths
2 fennel bulbs, washed and sliced thinly, bulbs only (not tops)
1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
salt & black pepper
2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2" chunks

Bring broth to a boil. Add carrots, onion, parsnip, fennel, and thyme. Cover slightly, reduce to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes. Add chicken and continue to cook until vegetables are tender and chicken is cooked through.

Serve hot with toasted sour dough bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment