Other Information

Friday, January 9, 2009

Reader Comments Desired

Sorry - I had every intention of hitting it hard and fast when I got back from the extended holiday, but life threw me a dizzy with a sick toddler. So now that she is feeling a little better I am free to write to you my readers once again which brings me to the topic of this post. And please feel free to leave me comments, I'd really like to know your thoughts on this.

Over the holiday I had a non-blogger get infuriated at me for posting recipes from cookbooks. I was practically accused of plagiarism - one that ranks up there with some big sins by my family standards (have I mentioned I come from a family of English teachers?). But here are my thoughts on the topic -

1) yes I do periodically post up a recipe from another chef, however I do very thoroughly state that it is not mine,
2) according to my husband the professional chef recipes cannot in fact be copy written - just the thoughts of the chef,
3) who really cares - if I have found a recipe from an obscure cookbook that might get extra readership and possibly sales for the author if I write a positive review this is a win-win situation.

So now I'm curious, how do you other foodies respond to this accusation? Are you as like minded as myself to not worry about such things? Am I wrong to assume this isn't a win-win situation? If anyone out there has written a cookbook I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I know newspapers and magazines publish recipes from other chefs all the time. These are listed as such and full credit is given to the chef (just like I do). However unlike a magazine or a newspaper - I am not making any money off my blog. I write and share with you my readers just for the love of food and of writing. So please tell me your thoughts - I'm waiting...

Happy cooking!

2 comments:

  1. How many "original" recipes are really out there? I often start out with a recipe and then get creative with it. I think as long as you mention where you got the recipe, it's all good. I am a major foodie, and looking forward to keeping up on your blog! I roasted a turkey earlier this week, and spent part of the day, today, making turkey stock (I couldn't find a recipe for "turkey stock" but I snagged some tips for making chicken stock). So do I have THE recipe for turkey stock? hmmm... who cares, I am not going to sell it or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you give the rightrl owner credits, and don't type it verbatim, I think it's fine. Food bloggers generally blog because they're passionate about it and not with the intention of making money, so why should anybody cry. I'm happy to find recipes of books that are not available in this part of the world or are simply prohibitively priced. It all boils down to knowledge share - the more you give, the more you get!

    ReplyDelete