Other Information

Friday, April 23, 2010

Homemade Instant Oatmeal

Well we finally finished the last of the instant oatmeal and I FINALLY decided to try my hand at making my own. This was so incredibly easy - and it turned out great (enjoyed an oatmeal lunch the other day to test out the goods).

HOMEMADE INSTANT OATMEAL
1/4c quick cook oats
2 tbsp ground up quick cook oats**
1 tbsp sugar (any kind - I used white)
1/8 tsp cinnamon (or your spice of choice)
1/4c dried fruit (I used dried apple, it was what I had on hand - the brand, Sensible Foods - the one in the photo - is my FAVORITE)
salt to taste (I left it out and thought it tasted fine)
hot water/milk/soy milk, enough to get it to the consistency you like

Mix everything up (except liquid) and store in baggies in the pantry until you're in need.

I am so excited about this recipe as it pained me to spend $$ on plain instant oatmeal. The kid has had an allergic reaction to some of the flavored kinds, so we've been using plain for ages now.


** I used a food processor, though a blender with a really sharp blade would also work - I ground up about 1c (pre-grind) which gave me enough ground up oats to make 9 bags of instant oatmeal. This is the way to go, full on assembly line style. Don't bother trying to make one bag at a time, you'll waste so much time that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment