Other Information

Thursday, January 21, 2016

Comfort Food, Allergy Style




I’ve been playing around with various recipes for vegan mac-n-cheese. I haven’t been exceptionally thrilled with any one recipe, so I started to put my own together. So happy I discovered Daiya shreds. They melt so nicely and the taste is fairly close to actual cheese, especially the cheddar shreds.

Heather's Mac-n-Cheese
- 2c plain soy milk
- 2 tsp corn starch

- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast

- 1 tbsp Earth Balance spread (dairy free margarine)

- 1 1/2c non-dairy cheddar shreds (I am loving Daiya brand, it actually tastes like cheddar cheese)
- 1/2c non-dairy mozzarella shreds (Daiya brand was used)

- 1tsp onion powder
- 1/3c flour

Cook elbow noodles per package directions, rinse and set aside.
Preheat oven to 350'

Mix the soy milk, corn starch, onion powder & nutritional yeast.
Bring to a boil, stir constantly until bubbly. Add salt & pepper to taste.

Melt spread into the above mixture

Add in non-dairy shreds, until they all melt.
Then add in onion powder, flour and more salt & pepper to taste

Add in cooked noodles, put in greased baking dish
Top with bread crumbs (I've been using Ian's brand as they're dairy free)
Spray crumbs with non-stick spray

Cook covered for 25 minutes
Uncover, cook for 20 minutes
Enjoy

You can reheat leftovers, but be cautious reheating in the microwave. Non-dairy shreds don't do microwave heat well - so put it on a low setting and heat in small increments to re-heat for later.


** Just a note to anyone just stopping by for the first time. I am periodically writing product reviews and commentary about the new products I've been trying out as part of my new dairy free/nut free life. I have not received any sort of compensation for product I am reviewing. The thoughts and observations written down are my own consumer take on these products.

No comments:

Post a Comment