Other Information

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Pulled Pork & Slaw Sandwich



I’ve also been enjoying making sandwiches for dinner. Tonight I made slow cooked BBQ pork and served it with my coleslaw on dairy free rolls. The pork recipe comes from The Sugar Solution Cookbook (a gift from my mom many years ago) and it's my go-to recipe for pulled pork. Hubs enjoys it every time I make it.

The coleslaw is my very one recipe.  And for years my mother has fought my recipe name, but victory was mine as I finally heard her refer to it by my name! I came up with this somewhere around 2004, and the hubs likes it so much he asked for it for work, and this recipe is what our customers get now.

HEATHER'S KICK ASS NEW ENGLAND SLAW


1 small head green cabbage, shredded, about 7 cups (ok to use a combo of green & red to equal 7 cups, a Cuisinart works great for this)
1-2 carrots, peeled & grated
1/4c minced sweet yellow onion (Vidalia or Texas)
1/2c + 3 tbsp mayonnaise
1/2c sugar
1 tsp dry mustard (yes, dry - do not use prepared!)
1/2c rice wine vinegar (ok to use white in a pinch, but it doesn't taste the same)
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper, or to taste
1 1/2c raisins (I prefer gold)

Combine cabbage, carrot, raisins & onion in a large bowl.

Whisk together mayonnaise, sugar & mustard in a small bowl. Whisk in vinegar, salt & pepper. Pour over cabbage and stir gently.

Refrigerate at least 1 hour, and up to 6 hours.

Before serving, stir slaw to redistribute dressing, and spoon off excess watery liquid. Feel free to correct the seasonings if necessary & serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment