With Thanksgiving right around the corner I would be remiss if I didn't post up my husband's tried & true recipe for how to cook an amazing turkey. Keep in mind - in 19+ years of marriage I have yet to actually do this (I consider myself lucky), but this is what he does when he's cooking one at home. Happy Holidays!
- Pre-heat oven to 350'
- Rinse/dry turkey - inside & out
- Rub down with butter or extra virgin olive oil - inside & out
- Sprinkle with kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper - inside & out
- Roast turkey on a rack in a roasting pan until juices run clean - meaning after the prescribed cooking time, you may pull legs from the bird and test by stabbing with a knife and watch the juices escape.
- You can add aromatics to the pan during cooking to help flavor the bird: onions, celery, bay leaves & carrot (surround bird while cooking)
Cooking time: 20 minutes/lb.
12 lb. turkey = 4 hours
20 lb. turkey = 6+ hours
Gravy make from left over turkey stock/pan drippings:
Mix roux (50% flour + 50% butter, melt butter & mix in flour)
with turkey stock/drippings1C drippings + 1 tbsp. roux = gravy