Ever wonder if there are other days to cook an eggplant? Well the answer is yes. Not only are they tasty fried, in ratatouille, or in eggplant Parmesan – but they’re also tasty stuffed. Here’s one of our favorite recipes from our catering days. These are best served hot right out of the oven. The skin remains a bit firm, so you’ll want to eat with a fork & knife. Enjoy!
Honey-Spice Stuffed Eggplant
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tsp ground coriander
½ tsp ground cumin
3 medium Italian eggplant – cut in half the long way
15 oz can kidney beans – rinsed & drained
1 tbsp shallot, diced
½ c raw sunflower seeds
¼ c packed fresh mint, chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 400’F
- Whisk oil, honey, lemon juice, coriander, and cumin. Salt to taste.
- Score each eggplant with 4 x-shapes, but don’t fully pierce the skin.
- Place eggplant on baking sheet
- Brush cuts with 2 tbsp honey-spice mixture
- Season with salt & pepper
- Roast 45-50 minutes or until tender, brush with 1 tbsp honey halfway through cooking
- While eggplant is cooking, mix beans, shallot and remaining honey mixture, just before serving add sunflower seeds & mint, toss to combine
- Remove eggplant from oven
- Place 1/3 c bean mixture in center of each eggplant
- Return eggplant to oven – cook about 10 minutes to warm beans through
- Serve hot