The hubs loves breakfast foods – and if we go out for breakfast loves going to a diner and getting biscuits & gravy. I ran across this recipe and gave it a try for the diner style breakfast he enjoys but at home. It was a hit. He really enjoyed it and I now have something to fall back on should I not want to get dressed some morning but he wants diner food!
Sausage & Sage Cream Gravy
2 tbsp bacon grease (ok to use 1 tbsp oil + 1 tbsp butter)
1 lb bulk sausage (I enjoy using ground turkey sausage)
½ c flour
4 c whole milk, brought to a simmer
Pinch of dry sage
Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat a medium sauce pan over low heat, warm milk on low, stir occasionally – keep an eye on it so it doesn’t boil
- In a large skillet (good to use cast iron if you have it) heat bacon grease over medium high heat – add sausage. Crumble & cook until well browned and no longer pink.
- Sprinkle flour over sausage & cook, stirring for 1-2 minutes
- Add warm milk all at once, cook – stirring, until it is thickened and bubbly
- Turn heat all the way down, add sage, season with salt & pepper
- Continue stirring & tasting until the flavor it to your liking
- Turn off heat
- Gravy will thicken as it cools – serve over warm biscuits