One of the food items I had to give up when I ditched dairy was mayonnaise – not because of the eggs, but because it was difficult to find out if the “natural flavorings” listed in the ingredients contained any dairy. Many of the commercial mayonnaise brands did not want to share total ingredients. I know there is Veganaise brand vegan mayo – but I don’t 100% care for its taste or texture. I looked around and finally found a recipe I liked and have been making my own homemade vegan mayo ever since. Hope you enjoy – this is great on sandwiches and in salads.
½ c plain soy milk
½ tbsp prepared yellow mustard
½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
½ tsp kosher salt
1 ½ - 2 ½ c canola oil
- Mix soy milk, mustard, vinegar, and salt in a large wide mouth mason jar with a stick blender. Mix briefly.
- Slowly add in oil in a thin, steady stream until the mixture becomes the thickness you prefer.
- Thickening doesn’t happen gradually – it will happen quickly.
- The amount of oil needed depends on the speed of your stick blender and how slowly you pour in the oil. It can vary by a cup.
- Place on a tight fitting lid and store in the fridge for up to 30 days.